Wednesday, July 9, 2008

May There Always Be Lemonade

Daughter One decided to have a lemonade stand yesterday, easily the HOTTEST day we have had in a long time. I think the temperature was high 90s. Against my urge to say 'no' and with my new policy to say 'yes' as often as I reasonably can, we geared up, went to the store, bought cheap frozen canned lemonade, came home and mixed it up. Then, of course, was the sign, the table set up, umbrella, etc. and it happily became a family affair. Even the sibling 'stuff' I've seen lately dissipated as little sister became the big helper. How wonderful for my heart was it to see them sitting side by side out at the end of the driveway and watching the little one 'run errands' for books and snacks to occupy them for the two hours.

Excuse me? Yes, TWO hours she sat out there in the baking sun. Daughter Two came and went, but Daughter One sat there the whole two hours. That kid has persistence. Did I mention we live on a dead end street where only 6 people bought the lemonade? It killed me to see her out there waiting and hoping for a big lineup of people to want to buy a glass of sugared pink water. Of course, the people we phoned that came and bought more than satisfied her, but I think I would have sold the house to have that big line up appear for her.

The best part of all this though is why she did it...this was ALL for the Red Cross. She decided right off the bat that this was going to raise money for something and after some local evacuations for forest fires, the Red Cross would be the best place to help. I am a very proud Mama.

Today we were sitting in Daughter Twos music class (I know, class in July for the homeschoolers...irony much?) and I realized this was the same classroom that I had brought Daughter One as a 3 month old for her Mommy and Me music. It was just the two of us (surrounded by other more competent moms and less beautiful babies) and she was my whole world. We sang and cuddled, and the goodbye song each week was about always having sunshine, always having blue sky, always having Mommy, always having me. Every week I would tear up at this song, knowing that it would be a while before she realized, but someday she would know that there wouldn't always be us. Time passes, and nothing stays the same.

I thought all of these things as I sat in the room watching this big girl of five twirl around with her sister and looked around for that little baby and the mother that wanted to freeze time.

And still does...

No comments: